Monday, August 1, 2011

Most Memorable Moments

Here are some of the most memorable moments from our team:

What amazed me about life in Mali was how much of their life is consumed to just live.  I didn't see much entertainment.  Everything was work.  - Bill


My memory that most amazed me was the stepping back in time of the agricultural system.  The use of cows and one bottom plows was incredible, especially after listening to Anco talk about the improved production with tractors! - Jon

My favorite moment would be Erin's reaction to the "Bag-O-Dinner" that James brought to the house...PRICELESS MOMENT.  -Steve


The church service at Bethel was the most amazing to me.  I remember standing there, looking around at the simplicity of the church, listening to the beat of the music, which I loved, and looking out the windows and doors to see the green cornfields and trees.  I found that to be such a peaceful moment.

Life in the U.S. seems much more cluttered with things that really don't matter.  I love the simplicity in Mali and how happy people are. -Erin


One of the things that struck me was how matter-of-fact Jesue was about what people becoming Christians in Mali have to face.  He had to be questioned with multiple questions (thank you Larry!) to find out that accepting Christ in Mali meant possibly being sent out of town, losing your wife and kids, and losing your way of life.  He did not lead off with the hardships they face. Instead, he led with a message of hope for Malians. Also, in a land where information is secret and an advantage, the Christians there are sharing to try to make everybody's life better (and through that share the Lord).

Another fact that struck me was the work ethic in Mali.  The people do not struggle to survive due to lack of physical effort.  Even when the kids showed up at camp (a vacation of sorts), they looked for opportunities to help (shoveling with Rachel) and did not turn down the request for help (moving the stump).  In a place where vacation is not a reality, the kids helped us even when they had the chance to take a break, and they did it with smiles!
-Jason


My memorable moment has to be the cultural differences with regard to what we often consider "common sense." Specifically, I think of various matters of safety.  I never thought I would see 7-8 year old kids playing near and running across a highway with cars going up to 60+ mph.  Work site safety...what's that?? Basically, the Malians have a more casual approach to work and home life. We're very structured and rules driven/regulated in the U.S.
-Andy

Something extremely memorable to me was the experience we had at the market in Segou. I thought it was a really stressful environment, especially having them follow you through the entire market begging you to buy their items.  That is obviously a lot different than the way we do things in the U.S.-Rachel




No comments:

Post a Comment