Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Other Mission Work - Helping out closer to home

Before leaving for Mali, I’m going to put a plug in for the other mission work we have been doing.  Andy, Rachel and I work at Restored Hope once each week.  Restored Hope is a transitional living program for homeless moms or moms just out of prison.  Every Tuesday we work with the kids who live at Restored Hope.  Andy, along with one other person, used to take one boy each week out to do different things, such as get ice cream or look at the rising flood waters.  This boy has been abused most of his life and has a lot of anger issues.  Unfortunately, this boy’s mom was recently asked to leave Restored Hope (sometimes happens if the moms refuse to follow the rules -- Restored Hope isn't a good fit for everyone).  Rachel and I work with the remaining kids, which we’ve found to be both challenging and rewarding.  These kids really crave attention and need some positive role models in their lives.
Also, at least monthly we spend time at Restored Hope doing maintenance work/repairs/cleaning.
The moms must follow a strict program at Restored Hope.  They have a 6pm curfew each night, no men are allowed, they must attend classes 3 times a week (parenting, life skills, and Bible study), they are asked to attend church (any church) and are expected to get a job or obtain training to help them get a job.  They are each given an apartment to live in, and once they get a job, they are expected to pay a monthly program fee.  Eventually, utilities are transferred into each mother's name to help the women establish some credit before they are living independently.
Since Restored Hope is faith based, it receives no government funds. Restored Hope relies on private donations, so if you are looking for a charity to give money, I suggest checking out Restored Hope.  Restored Hope has truly put a program in place to help moms get on their feet and gives them the best chance of success possible.  The mothers can live at Restored Hope for one year and can then ask for a one year extension.  If a mother is asked to leave, Restored Hope does everything possible to find a new program for her to join. 
I recently joined the Board of Directors at Restored Hope.  We will soon be having our annual fundraising dinner, so I ask that you please consider buying a table for your business/social group at the dinner.  The moms will speak at the dinner, and there will be a touching presentation.
Joplin:
Rachel, Andy, and I also spent an afternoon/evening in Joplin, Missouri after the tornado destroyed a huge section of the city.  I'm from southern Missouri, so the devastation literally hits a little too close to home for me. Words can’t describe the destruction we saw.  It is going to take a very long time for the city to re-build, and I also encourage you to continually donate/volunteer in Joplin.
Omaha:
It doesn’t take long to fill sand bags if you have any available time.  Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to do this, but would like to, and I hope we can help. 
Soldiers Angels:
This is a great way to make a difference without spending any money or driving anywhere.  This would also be a great way to involve your kids in volunteer work.  You can sign up for Soldiers Angels online.  I am part of the Letter Writing Team.  This means I receive a soldier’s name each week and am expected to write a letter to that soldier.  If you view the testimonials on the Soldiers’ Angels’ web site, you’ll see that receiving letters and care packages greatly boosts morale for the soldiers.  I often send a care package, but I am only required to write a letter (so the only required cost is a 44 cent stamp).  If you decide to adopt a soldier, you are required to send a monthly care package.
Here is one testimonial from the web site:
Today I received the most wonderful "box of love" in the mail.  Receiving mail for a deployed service member is something akin to a Christmas or a Birthday... but a box full of such thoughtful goodies--packaged and sent by people I have never met--is truly a blessing and leaves me humbled...You truly lifted my spirits and made my day! - Shannon in Afghanistan, January 2011

Andy and I have donated money to Joplin and Alabama tornado recovery efforts, Restored Hope, and to Christ Community Church.  Even a small amount makes a difference!  If you can’t give, volunteer (or even if you can give, I suggest volunteering too)! If you need ideas, feel free to contact me.  Also, the United Way web site lists several volunteer opportunities available.
If you have donated to our mission trip to Mali and I haven’t personally thanked you, THANK YOU! 
So…..there’s my plug for volunteer work.  A few quotes to live by:
Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can.
- John Wesley
The quality of your life will be determined by the quantity of your contribution.  When you work to improve the lives of others, your life improves automatically.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. – Winston Churchill
Always give without remembering and always receive without forgetting.
Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. – Princess Diana
Compassion is a living, breathing, organic emotion that vibrates through you and links you to those around you.
Be kind and merciful.  Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. – Mother Teresa
I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.
Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others (Philippians 2:4)

Joplin -- when we were there in early June

Restored Hope apartments

Restored Hope

Working with the children of Restored Hope

Refinishing furniture at Restored Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment